In a sea of resumes, you want yours to stand out amongst the group of claims adjusters. But how do you create a standout resume that will catch even the pickiest interviewer’s eye?
One significant way to do this is by tailoring your resume. There are a few ways to customize your resume for a position within the claims industry.
1. Look at the Claims Adjuster job posting you’re interested in and carefully choose small words or phrases that stand out
Don’t copy whole sentences from the job posting verbatim but it’s okay to paraphrase. Make sure that you include your experiences that most closely align to the job description
2. Use language that shows, not tells
- Paint a picture of the concrete tasks your completed that provided value in your previous insurance jobs
3. Consider the Industry you’re looking in
- Use language that accurately applies to the industry you’re applying for.
- For example, Claims Adjusters would want to describe the specific type of claims they handle (i.e., Auto Claims, Property and Casualty Claims, or Workers’ Compensation Claims) and expand on what areas they have the strongest experience in
4. Use strong verbs/action words to describe your claims experience:
For example, “Trained a team of 5 people on how to use Xactimate Software” or “Reviewed 10 Claims per day.” It’s important to use strong verbs and quantify them with numbers, statistics, or percentages, and by doing so helps the hiring manager get a bigger picture of what impact you had in your prior positions.
5. List your most relevant Experiences
- If you have many years of experience on your resume, make sure you list the most relevant and vital jobs or roles you’ve had.
- It’s best to keep your resume down to one page. If you’re applying to for a claims examiner job, no one needs to know about your retail job from college.
- Keep it short and sweet with the strongest, most relevant information.
After all, most hiring managers spend only a few moments reviewing a resume. Tailoring your resume is a sure fire way to stand out in the stack.
TheBestIRS is the leading insurance staffing company across the United States. Our insurance recruiters can expedite the hiring process by getting your resume in the hands of a hiring manager. Click here to learn more about our services or get started working with our recruiters today.