All independent adjusters know when hurricane season arrives, they need to have a plan in place. Landing an independent adjuster assignment is the first step. If you haven’t notified your recruiter that you’re ready to deploy, update your personal career profile today. If you’ve read our blog post, What Catastrophe Adjusters Should Do After they get THE Call, you know finding housing is very important. A lot of the hotels are closed, damaged themselves, or overbooked with people displaced by the catastrophe, you could sleep in your car, but what are your other options? Well, worry no more, TheBestIRS has done some research and found some creative options in case of emergency.
- Rent an RV – RV’s provide much more room for sleeping, they have kitchens for cooking while on longer assignments, plus they can act as a vehicle to get from place to place. We recommend checking out https://www.outdoorsy.com/ or https://rvshare.com/
- Check out rental homes/apartments – While hotels book up quickly, you may still be able to snag an Airbnb. Especially if you’re willing to look outside of the direct radius of the storm. Sometimes if you are able to drive a little further out, you may find more availability post-storm.
- VRBO – similar to Airbnb, VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) offers many different accommodations in various cities. From condos to cabins to cottages, this site has it all.
READ THIS NEXT: 4 Temporary Housing Tips for Claims Adjusters
- Check in with your catastrophe adjuster friends and think about splitting rooms. It will save you money and gives you the opportunity to socialize outside of work.
- Look into month-to-month apartments which sometimes provide a full kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom to make your long stays much more comfortable. If you think you might be headed on a Catastrophe Assignment this year? Click here for our extended stay discount code!
Did we forget any ideas? What are some other creative lodging suggestions for catastrophe adjusters?