Claims Adjuster, Do You Need a Designated Home State or a Resident License?

Find out what license claims adjusters need.

Claims Adjuster Licensing Tips

As you contemplate becoming a claims adjuster, you need to know answers to the following: What type of claims will you want to handle? Are you interested in working for a company or do you want to become an Independent Adjuster? Where are you going to gain experience? Do you have a mentor in mind? In order to handle claims, which license(s) do you need? Many adjusters are unsure about the licensing process, especially in terms of whether they need a resident license and a DHS.

What does DHS stand for?
Designated Home State.

How can a DHS license help claims adjusters?
If an adjuster lives in a non-licensing state, they will apply for a DHS license. States that do not currently license their adjusters are: Colorado, DC, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

With a Designated Home State license there are several states in which you may easily obtain an adjuster license without having to pass the exam. Without that Designated Home State license, you would otherwise need to test for all licensing states.

One of our favorite sites for the most up-to-date information about claims adjuster licensing is They have numerous resources on licensing and reciprocity.

What is a Resident License for?
If you live in a state that offers a license for claims adjusters (i.e. not one of the states listed above), then you must apply for and pass an exam in order to adjust claims in the state you live in. If you live in Arizona for example, then you must get an Arizona license prior to applying for any non-resident licenses.

[Related: Independent Insurance Adjuster vs. Claims Adjuster: What’s the Difference?]

Sign up for Insurance Job Alerts from TheBestIRS to be notified of new openings near you.Which states offer licensing for resident claims adjusters?
Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Texas, Minnesota, Michigan, Arkansas, Louisiana, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Alaska and Hawaii.

Can I choose a DHS for my claims adjuster license instead?
No. If an individual resides in Arizona and wants to become an adjuster, they cannot skip the licensing process offered in Arizona by designating Texas (for example) as their home state.  

If you’re on assignment with TheBestIRS and have questions about your licenses or need assistance, our Compliance Department will be happy to help. Send us an email and we will contact you shortly.


4 Comments on “Claims Adjuster, Do You Need a Designated Home State or a Resident License?

  1. Once I get licensed, how do I get the experience necessary to work for TheBestIRS company

  2. Pingback: Claims Adjusters & Drones – What are the issues? – TheBestIRS Insurance Staffing & Recruiting Blog

  3. Pingback: What Claims Adjusters need to know about Licensing Maintenance – TheBestIRS Insurance Staffing & Recruiting Blog

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: